weekly photo challenge : big

Here’s a fun challenge put up by WordPress. Check here for details if you want to know more about it. This is what illustrates big to me:

wind turbinesI think most people have seen similar wind turbines in the countryside. I think they are beautiful – so elegant and spare in style. Everyone knows they are big. What I did not realize is that they are REALLY TRULY BIG. On a drive in Montana we saw this on the side of the road. It took me a minute to realize that it was a single blade from a wind turbine. There is a small house hiding behind that blade!

wind turbine blade

I don’t think I have ever been so impressed. Only wish I’d taken time to get some decent photos. If I ever see this again, I will bore to tears with all the photos I will post – I promise!

19 thoughts on “weekly photo challenge : big

1. I remember those windmills well. 😉

2. I’ve seen these at a distance near Lethbridge.. they’re very cool, almost surreal, eh?

1. Terri at Time To Be Inspired October 14, 2012 — 10:03 PM

Absolutely, and you can’t imagine the size when you see them in the distance. You know they are big, but not HOW big!

3. OMG! That really is big! I don’t think I’ve ever seen one close up, so that last picture certainly gives me a better idea of its size!

1. Terri at Time To Be Inspired October 14, 2012 — 7:37 PM

Seriously! And if I’d been driving I’d have gotten a lot of photos…. I think I was in too much shock to insist on taking more time!

4. The scale of these wind turbines is pretty amazing. There’s a plant in Little Rock that makes the turbine blades and when you’re along side one of the trucks hauling individual blades (and think you’ll never reach the end of it while passing), you truly see their scale. Nice take on the theme!

1. Terri at Time To Be Inspired October 14, 2012 — 1:25 PM

Thanks. Personally I’d like to see them more often, but I’m also glad I don’t have to deal with them on the highway!

5. I would always be in awe everytime I went through the Palm Springs area and see all the Turbines

6. I didn’t realize how big the turbine blades actually are! Wow!

1. Terri at Time To Be Inspired October 14, 2012 — 9:15 AM

I think there are a few different sizes, as I’ve seen one on a flatbed truck that wasn’t this big, but it was still fairly impressive.

7. I marveled over field upon field of these near Bulgaria’s Black Sea Coast the week before last.

8. Oh, fantastic example. I have seen these in Palm Springs, and we also, have a lot of the blades on trucks passing through Dallas to West Texas. Truly amazing. I love that it is clean energy too, and they really are beautiful to see.

1. Terri at Time To Be Inspired October 13, 2012 — 5:28 PM

Thanks. I know I have other photos of the fields of turbines, but I’m somewhat in awe whenever I see them. Thanks for stopping by.

9. We have those puppies in Palm Springs too, they can be seen in movies like Thelma and Louise and others. They are pretty big alright! Thanks for sharing this.

1. Terri at Time To Be Inspired October 13, 2012 — 11:50 AM

I suppose because I live in Alberta I’m used to seeing them. They suit wide open, windy spaces. I think they are so beautiful, and I appreciate that they don’t create messy waste product while producing power. Thanks for the comment and follow!

10. Wow, go ahead Terri, bore to tears — that thing is HUGE! And so impressive. That is so cool you shared it with us. Thanks. … I wonder how it got loose?

11. I’ve never been there, but I’ll bet it is magnificent to see.

12. These are awesome.No ,really I won’t be bored even slightly.You are quite the traveler.Good for you!

search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close