I must share this recipe, because I am totally addicted to this salad. Given my last post on Absolut addiction, people are going to think that I have addiction problems. Perhaps I do. Regardless, you must try this salad, or some sort of variation. It is tasty, satisfying and high on the fairly healthy list. The trick to eating the kale raw and having a great taste is to massage the kale thoroughly. I’ll explain in the recipe.
My recipe is based on one I found on Cookie and Kate, which is based on a recipe from in Deb Perlman’s Smitten Kitchen cookbook. Feel free to add whatever fresh goodness you have in your kitchen. The possibilities are almost endless!
Kale Salad with Cherries, Pecans and Goat Cheese
- 1/2 cup candied pecans (remember I said fairly healthy) (or toasted pecans)
- 8 ounces kale (I used regular curly green kale)
- 1/2 red, orange or yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (or cranberries)
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese, chilled
- optional: hard-boiled eggs
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoon smooth Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste