Thought since I’ve sorted through my photos for my tile pictures, I figured I’d show you the rest of the flower mosaic wall project. I didn’t get the color into the zig zag until the summer of 2003. It took a long time to find a selection of red and purple tiles – ones that didn’t cost the earth. I wasn’t thrilled with the purple selection but it worked out. When I had enough, I added the color to my zig zag.
I had done more research about technique, and was able to lay out sections of tile on a table, on top of a pattern I traced off of the wall. Then I took a mixture of white glue and water and painted brown paper, which I laid on top of the tile. When the glue dried, I could pick up sections of the mosaic and install them on the wall on a layer of thin-set. This was a huge improvement over putting pieces up one at a time, but not perfect. When the thin-set was dry, I wet the brown paper enough to peel it away and expose the tile. Sometimes tile pieces would shift, which required prying them out of the thin-set and moving them over slightly.
When it was all done, Norm helped me grout the wall and we cleaned up so I could enjoy my colorful installation. Here are a few close up details.