Finally able to get some work done at my studio. A friend recently renovated her kitchen and I wanted to make her a gift. I heard she liked dragonflies and thought that they would be a great image to work with. I carved a large dragonfly in 2 parts, (wings and body), to print on red and white striped tea towels. The wing span is about 8″. I used brown textile ink with a bit of black mixed in, and oddly enough they looked very black. Even when I used straight brown ink, they looked black. Guess I have a lot to learn about this medium. Fortunately the experimenting and learning is a whole lot of fun! I folded the tea towels below in half so you can get an idea of the scale.
I printed a couple of cotton table runners with Christmas designs. I carved Christmas ornaments, and a stylized Christmas tree. Here are just a couple of photos. I’ll post more once I get the color corrected. The green runner is a strong lime green color in real life, and the trees are printed on bright red. When I looked through the viewfinder, the color looked fine but changed drastically as the image came into focus. Sometimes I am just stumped by technology.
While I would love to sort out these technical issues immediately, I’m a bit too busy in the kitchen. If it’s November, it must be time to make fruit cake. I spent the week-end cleaning, sorting and slicing dried fruit. I expect to be able to start baking tomorrow. I need to juggle my time so that I can keep working in the studio this week as well. Here’s hoping!